Saturday 29 May 2010

Something for nothing...

It has really struck me lately as I've been reading about yet more MPs expenses as it becomes more and more apparent that there are very few Members of Parliament in Britain who have not dishonestly procured things that they are not entitled to. The sad thing is, the question that immediately comes to my mind is:

How many of us are guilty of, in essence, the same? How many of us would not bat an eyelash at taking stationary from our place of work, or taking a longer break than we should... how many of us are actively seeking 'something-for-nothing'?



There seems to be a really sad attitude, especially in countries where there is posterity, that somehow we should aim to get more than a fair day's pay for an honest day's work. People exhibit this attitude in all manner of ways: staying on benefits despite an ability to work, claiming maximum travel expenses but finding the cheapest way to travel, taking things you don't think they will mind you taking but without asking. I mean, there are some really petty minor offences and some giant ones, but they all show a complete lack of integrity.

So many ridiculous policies seem to be put in place to try and guard companies against such abuse; and that in itself can be expensive. It's just such a terrible shame that the human race in general seems to be a selfish entity, full of 'dog-eat-dog' and trying to get the better of each other, because otherwise we are terrified of falling behind in the race to riches and worldly success. It is easy to get sucked in.

So, when I think of the expenses scandal and the outrage that has come as a result of that; I am going to use it as a reminder to myself to make sure that I am doing all I can to be honest in my dealings with my fellow men. If I'm honest with myself and keep it under evaluation, it is less likely that I will be dishonest with others- and dishonesty is a dreadful, outrageous thing. We shouldn't entertain it. There is no such thing as a 'white lie'; and if 'they won't mind', why not ask them? People appreciate honesty, because we definitely need more of it!!




Someone once said to me: "Being honest is like being pregnant; you either are, or you aren't!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?