Friday 27 May 2011

Who am I?




Secret identity exposed! It is not every day that you hang out a hero costume to dry and it amused me so I thought I'd take a photo. Our neighbours could learn a lot from looking at our washing line, it seems!

Looking at this outfit helped me to sum up the thoughts I've been having over the last few days.

At institute on Thursday night we were looking at the beginning of a new course- The gospel and the productive life. We started by watching a 'mormon messages' video with the song 'I am a child of God'.
It's a funny video in a few ways. All the people are so different and it's also so sweet. It made me smile as I was reminded of 'It's a small world' in Disneyland. It's a 'fantastic' world when we know who we are.

In the same lesson, I was reminded of something that I had seen before- we watched the video that talks about Stephanie Nielson who was horrifically burned in a plane crash. The quote that made me think a lot was "I am Stephanie Nielson, and I am not my body". She talked in the video about the beauty of women and expressed the opinion that motherhood is the most beautiful thing about a woman. I really overwhelmed me to think about that fact. Here was this beautiful woman who maybe lost a little of her conventional outer beauty but was discovering more and more of the beauty within. It sounds strange but it impressed me to watch that video because she was still making such an effort with her appearance. She hadn't given up and given in to tragedy and allowed herself to become something grotesque. She had her hair up prettily and had makeup on- not covering up her injuries, but to project herself in the most appealing manner. It just made me smile because the balance was there.

I guess from that you can kind of see that beauty and attractiveness is important to me. I bought some new skin care products and used them last night and my goodness the glow was tangible! It felt incredible to exfoiliate and give myself a deep cleanse. I also went to the gym today, determined to try and look a little bit more contained and under control when my missionary gets home. I want to lose a bit of weight and look delicious for him! However, I can't imagine how depressing it would be to be someone's trophy wife. I can't imagine a life where I take the kids to school and then hit the gym for a couple of hours a day because my life is basically built around trying to look good. It's important to exercise and keep healthy. It's important to make the most of our appearance. I do not think it's appropriate to get married and then drop all our standards of personal appearance. I don't agree with getting up earlier than your husband every morning to make sure your full face is on before he wakes up- but equally I don't agree that around the house you should never wear makeup. I don't think you stop trying to look your best for him just because he also gets to see you at your worst.

The most important thing of all is to remember that beauty is far far more than skin deep. We need to look well-kept enough for our personalities and divine attributes to shine through. On a woman's wedding day she always looks radian, even if not conventionally beautiful. That's because joy does change the way we look. Joy comes from within. It comes from living well and loving much. I'm just glad I had a chance to remember and ponder on that.

I hope I can develop my inner beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?