Thursday 5 May 2011

Strong Women

I've been considering lately what it means to be a strong woman. The question has been on my mind for many reasons, but I can't quite put my finger on what tipped me on to wanting to write about it; Reading about King Lamoni's wife? Wondering how to become stronger myself? My mother? Studying medicine? Undeserved praise from Benjamin? Talking about Sylvia Plath? My insights into struggling marriages? or even just simply the fact that I voted today? Whatever the cause it has been the subject of a lot of my quiet moments. 

Really, strength as a woman comes from the same source as strength in men- self-discipline, integrity, honesty and endurance. Yet, there's something different about being a woman. It's funny because I've always been somewhat obsessed with achieving something. At times I have thought about the future where I work 3 days a week and I've wondered, "what would I DO on the days off?!" which is not a very maternal thought at all! I'm working hard in medical school and I do very much want to be a doctor. It will be extremely fulfilling- but it won't be everything. I recognise with gratitude the way the world has opened up for women to give us every opportunity, based on our merits and regardless of gender. 
I don't want to be like a man, though. I think feminists take it too far and demean womanhood by trying to press us into a mould that we simply do not fit. We shouldn't! It reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book about the star-bellied sneetches.  In reality, the best thing is to be the most fantastic you that you are. Instead of envying others or fearing them for their differences we must just try and learn from each other.

Real strength is being comfortable enough in yourself that you can stick to what you know is right and be true. I'm no weight-lifter yet in that respect- but I intend to start small and build up. I have to try and feel comfortable with who I am and to not just accept my weaknesses but try and make decisions. I used to be very decisive and bossy and while I'm not sure that's the right way to deal with it, I don't think my recent make-no-decisions-things-will-work-out attitude is right either. I've got to try and embrace life and make sure that I am fully 'in' it. I need to work out what it is that I love and what I am committed to. I guess we all go through periods of re-evaluating our priorities and I've had a particular motivation recently.

I decided that the secret is EXACTLY what the star bellied sneetches discovered- that they're better together. Their differences compliment each other. It is lovely to see that practically working in older couples that I know. Today, a lady gave me a home-made cinammon roll after her husband taught a class. I got excited to get the recipe off her and then nearly caught myself and scolded myself for thinking of being someone's wife and making nice things like that. I reminded myself that it is wonderful that I'm excited about that role I can play and the joy I can bring into the lives of my family as someone who will make the home a pleasant place to be- whether it's because of home-baking or just simply being there to listen or encouraging the individuals in my family. I want to keep focusing on who I can be. In the simple, pure ways. Maybe it is old-fashioned and I will not always be in the kitchen with my pinny on and a bow in my hair when my hard-working bread-winning husband gets home. However, balanced correctly, it's a beautiful thought and the future looks bright. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?