Wednesday 1 February 2012

Joy


The photo above is from one of my recent excursions to a part of the world I haven't really visited before. This was taken at Burghley House which I recognised instantly from the film version of Pride and Prejudice- it was used for Rosings, the home of Lady Catherine de Bourgh. One of my joys in life is seeing new places. I never tire of finding beautiful parts of the country or of the world; it's so inspiring!

As it fits in with the lesson I'm teaching on Sunday in Young Women's, and for various other reasons, I've been thinking about what it is in life that gives us joy and how we achieve joy even in hard moments in life. Joy is doing something that you love and living the life you want to be living. But it's so much more than that. It's about having an attitude of gratitude and loving life just because you are making a conscious effort to love it each day. There are times in my life where that's easy and times where it's more difficult. The times where it's more difficult remind us to value the bits where the road is smoother. I feel like I've arrived at a smooth bit right now and I'm not sure how long it is going to last but I am determined to bask in the metaphorical sunshine!

We all have stresses and worries but as long as we treasure the little things I feel like life is never really so bad. Perhaps what I am talking about merely equates to happiness and joy is something a little bit more lasting. In reality it's not the situation around us that gives us happiness but we are the ones who determine whether we are going to be happy, regardless of the situation. I am a firm believer that no one else has the power to drag me down or pick me up. I choose. You choose for yourself.

One thing that made me laugh today was sitting with two friends who started describing me as a 'maternal' person, a girl-next-door type, the kind of woman who bakes cookies. It just made me laugh to see myself as they saw me for two seconds. I must seem so boring! But I love it. I think part of being happy is being comfortable in your own skin and at this point in my life, I am. I think despite the imperfections we can all see in ourselves, there is always something to love. It made me laugh this week to see separately two really cute babies (6 months and 9 months) who just could not stop grinning. They both seemed overjoyed at the world and at the reactions that they got. I mean, you can't help but smile back at a baby who is grinning like a Cheshire cat! I think when the world gets a bit daunting we just need to try and see it through fresh eyes and realise how much beauty there is around us.

And if life is hard for you right now... be still... don't keep waiting for what's coming round the corner. Find comfort right where you are and you will be so much better prepared for the highs and lows to come. I just know that that's true!

"Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth"


 Never Frown, Even When You're Sad Because You Never Know Who May be Falling in Love With Your Smile


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?