Monday 5 December 2011

Return of the O.D.G.


Dear Reader,
As you will know if you have glanced through my blog or if you know me well, I have occasional moments where I decide I am secretly a domestic goddess and I begin to feel invincible in the kitchen.

Now, don't get me wrong. Even in these states I'm not ambitious enough to cook... I bake. I am well aware that cooking is a whole different kettle of fish and requires a little more than just selecting and following a recipe. Sometimes it even requires multi-tasking. My delusions of grandeur do not stretch that far. For evidence of why this is a good thing for my family see here. Cupcakes, brownie, cookies... those are the kind of tasty treats my family of the future will have to live on. I doubt they'll complain... you know, until they get severely anaemic...

Anyway- I looked through my cupcake book and decided the recipe for lemon cupcakes sounded appealing but as I glanced through the ingredients list I decided that I could probably find a better recipe on the internet (I'm not really sure of the value of recipe books any more!) and this is the one I used:

Ingredients: 
125g softened butter
125g caster sugar
1/2 large lemon- zest only 
(I used a whole lemon... I like my lemon cupcakes LEMON-Y!) 
2 eggs 
150g plain flour 
1/2 tsp baking powder

Icing: 75g butter, 175g icing sugar, 1/2 large lemon 
(I used 1 whole lemon zest, and half a lemon for juice!) 
and then decoration! 

I love cupcakes. I haven't tried these yet but they look and smell delicious! 
It helps that there was only one real accident in making them... we have a powerful electric hand-mixer and unfortunately it seems fairly incompatible with the use of icing sugar. The kitchen looked like there had been a blizzard... but, hey, it's Christmas so perhaps that was my aim, right? 

Yours Faithfully, 
O.D.G. 
(Occasional Domestic Goddess) 

P.S. Some pictures to encourage you to get in the kitchen: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?