Friday 16 December 2011

Hold On Thy Way



My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee


Text and Music by Rob Gardner

For a little while 
Have I forsaken thee; 
But with great mercies will I gather thee. 
In a little wrath I hid my face from thee 
For a moment. 

But with everlasting kindness will I gather thee, 
And with mercy will I take thee ‘neath my wings, 
For the mountains shall depart, 
And the hills shall be removed, 
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea, 
But know, my child, 
My kindness shall not depart from thee! 

Though thine afflictions seem 
At times too great to bear, 
I know thine every thought and every care. 
And though the very jaws 
Of hell gape after thee I am with thee. 

And with everlasting mercy will I succor thee, 
And with healing will I take thee ‘neath my wings. 
Though the mountains shall depart, 
And the hills shall be removed, 
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea, 
Know, my child, 
My kindness shall not depart from thee! 

How long can rolling waters 
Remain impure? 
What pow'r shall stay the hand of God? 
The Son of Man hath descended below all things. 
Art thou greater than He? 

So hold on thy way, 
For I shall be with thee. 
And mine angels shall encircle thee. 
Doubt not what thou knowest, 
Fear not man, for he 
Cannot hurt thee. 

And with everlasting kindness will I succor thee, 
And with mercy will I take thee ‘neath my wings. 
For the mountains shall depart, 
And the hills shall be removed, 
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea, 
But know, my child, 
My kindness shall not depart from thee!

Sometimes I find that in the moments when I need a boost and a bit of comfort, nothing helps more than inspiring music. 

I actually don't think I can adequately describe in words what this song means to me. I remember first singing it with a YSA choir in Birmingham in May 2009. At that time I was actually not able to sing it because as soon as we began to sing this song tears started pouring down my cheeks. I had sent the lyrics to my dearest friend who was struggling with some health problems at the time and as I looked down at her in the audience I knew she was thinking about those words. 

Our Heavenly Father simply NEVER abandons us. He never will. He loves us perfectly. 
We all have moments when we feel frail, but He is there. He watches us and He lifts us. He takes us underneath His wings. I've felt that so much in my moments of sorrow- whether it's a personal loss or something someone around me is experiencing. His kindness is always upon us. 

I remember singing a song (maybe at primary school) that talked about how His love is "so high you can't get over it; so low you can't get under it [and] so wide you can't get round it". At this Christmas season I know that is true. Heavenly Father loves each of us so much that He prepared a way for us to get back to be with Him. Jesus Christ provides the way for us to be back home with our Heavenly Father. I am just so grateful for everything He did. I'm grateful for all the comfort I can get because of the burdens that Christ shoulders for me. I'm glad of the opportunity we have to celebrate His birth. It's a time to remember the love He feels for us and to see that love reflected in us. 

A friend sent me this quote: "'It is only when the waters are perfectly still that they can reflect the glories of the heavens.' It is the same with us. Only when our minds and hearts are restfully focused on our Prince can we become reflections of His strong, steady and unshakable peace." Eric & Lesley Ludy. 

It's nearly Christmas. I hope I can do more to encourage all the wonderful feelings that come with this season. It is the season of giving and I am grateful for the best gift ever given- Heavenly Father's gift to us of the Saviour. I hope I can 'be still' in this season in order to reflect some of His goodness and love.

3 comments:

  1. That was beautifully said. I too love that song, its incredible, always moves me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the memories :) I love this song sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not'.

    ReplyDelete

Comments?