Saturday 19 June 2010

The View... and the climb...

Today I got the amazing opportunity to go with the Lichfield YSA to the Malvern Hills, Benbow's Farm and Gadfield Elm chapel, which are beautiful church history sites, from the times of missionaries such as Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor and Brigham Young.

We had a lovely day with great food, great company and we were showered with kindness.



However, this picture is not actually any of the above mentioned things. It is a picture of the Watkin Path in Snowdonia. I am putting it up here for a reason, which I will explain.

In our meeting in Gadfield Elm chapel, this path was talked about. An experience was recounted of a walk along this path and how the person walking it was so concerned about her footing on the rocks that she stared intensely at the path. This had a double effect- it made her feel totally sick of grey, and it also made her miss those beautiful things that were around. She told us she felt inspired to share that story with us and she likened the rocks to choices we have to make and responsibilities we have. If we look up and focus on enjoying the journey around us, we are actually better able to walk the path we need to.
To me, the rocks could take on another meaning. The challenges that we face. There are so many things to trip us up and sometimes I think I am guilty of staring at the path, determined to see the next challenge and jump over it myself rather than trusting my feet and looking up at the beauty of the surroundings.

At the chapel, as well, our wonderful guide (I don't like to use names too much on my blog in case people don't like to be mentioned) said to me: "If you don't stop smiling so much, it'll get you into trouble!" It made me think about all the reasons I have to smile. Sure, there are some pretty big boulders that I've navigating right now but there's also (metaphorically) a blazing sun, a pretty stream and a wonderful summit to aim for. My goal has become to do the opposite of what he, jokingly, implied! I now want to show my happiness. What right do I have, as a member of Jesus Christ's church on the earth today, have to be miserable?

None.

He sends me flowers and sunshine and every good thing.

My life goes on in endless song

Above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.


Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?


While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness 'round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.


No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?


When tyrants tremble in their fear
And hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?


In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them are winging,
When friends by shame are undefiled
How can I keep from singing?

It's kind of sad, but along with all of this train of thought, the song "The Climb" has been coming into my head quite a lot. Because it "doesn't matter how fast [we] get there, it's not about what's waiting on the other side... It's the climb."

Sometimes, even when life is hard, we just need to find two minutes to sit and count our blessings... to look around us and for once not think of ourselves financially, socially or educationally but to focus on the very core of ourselves and, in doing so, look for the positives. It is easy to feel disheartened when we trip. If you fall over a stone at the bottom of the hill, it makes the peak look so far away. We need to gently pick ourselves back up, find confidence and move onwards; looking up to see the beauty all around. There is so much in life for us to appreciate. I aim to look around more to see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?