Tuesday 5 June 2012

Sixty


The Jubilee weekend gave an opportunity for a wonderful celebration of British-ness- but perhaps more exciting was the chance many people got to have a 4 day weekend. I was certainly in the mood to celebrate as for me weekends equate to quality time spent with my fiance- nothing could make me happier.

As we spent these precious seconds together during this Friday night to Tuesday, I started to think about the fact that life is actually going to fly by. If we blink, we'll miss it.

The Queen has been on the throne for sixty years and during that time she has achieved so much. She seems to exemplify the kind of grace with which a person should live their life. She has been unwavering in her duties and a wonderful emblem of our great country. Yet- all of this has been accomplished in an amount of time that is made up of the basic units; seconds, minutes, hours.

After Sixty seconds you have a minute.
After Sixty minutes you have an hour.
After twenty-four hours you have a day.
After seven days you have a week.
After four (and a bit) weeks you have a month.
After twelve months you have a year.
After ten years you have a decade.

Suddenly, insidiously, there's a sovereign who was crowned Sixty years ago.

Time is such a strange thing.

"Time is very slow for those who wait; 
very fast for those who are scared; 
very long for those who lament; 
very short for those who celebrate; 
but for those who love, time is eternal." 
- Shakespeare

As young as I am and as near to the beginning of my life's adventures as I may be, I am acutely aware of how quickly it is all going to move forward. Changes will occur on a daily basis. 

I think that's why I love pictures. I love to capture moments that might otherwise pass us by- things we might never remember if it's not recorded. I love to look back at my jet-black hair as a baby, see the clothes my sisters and brother used to wear, the places we went to and the things we got up to. I always want to remember to take a lot of pictures. Most of all- I want to remember to take time out to make and save memories. Today was one of those days. No pictures were taken and it was in many ways entirely unremarkable and yet it was one of the best days I've had. I could easily extend that sentiment to the whole weekend. 

Lately there has been so much to do and organise that the moments that we get to play seem more and more precious. Yesterday we got the chance to have fun with some of my relatives; and then we had the opportunity to call in on some of Ben's. There was just such a sweetness is being able to take the time to talk to people and realise how fortunate we both are to have such wonderful extended and immediate families. It's one of the most wonderful things that we will soon share! 

As time speeds on by, I am going to try to treasure each moment whilst also looking forward to a world beyond time; a place where our relationships will benefit greatly due to an endless amount of it! To conclude- a thought: 

"We are so little reconciled to time that we are even astonished at it. “How he’s grown!” we exclaim, “How time flies!” as though the universal form of our experience were again and again a novelty. It is as strange as if a fish were repeatedly surprised at the wetness of water. And that would be strange indeed; unless of course the fish were destined to become, one day, a land animal."- CS Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?