Sunday 25 July 2010

Working hard... and maintaining a smile!

I haven't been able to blog as often as I'd like because I've been working some very long hours!
This week I'm working four days worth of 15 hour shifts. It'll be quite a strain, but I think I should be able to cope. Just got to keep smiling and get through it!

I do love my job. I'm working as a Health Care Assistant; and though you could say that really, what we do is the 'dirty work', it is a service that people really need in order for their lives to keep some semblance of normalcy. That is so rewarding. The people who I visit are, for the most part, so grateful for the time you spend and the care you take. Not only that, but all the families have their own ways of being lovely. They really do make us feel welcome in their homes. It is very rare for their frustrations to leak out onto us. Though perhaps that could have been phrased a little better, because sometimes it's not just frustrations that leak out!


Despite working a lot, I feel like I have a lot going on for me socially as well. I mean, I'm not out every night or anything, but I have something every week to look forward to. I admit that my work-life balance is a little skewed toward work, but I do get time to realise why I love being alive.

I guess if I am completely honest with myself, I would rather be out there having fabulous adventures in far off places... I'd like to visit Australia, Hong Kong, Italy.... anywhere!... but I have to be realistic. What I really need at the moment is direction and money. The direction is coming as I continue to work within healthcare... and the money will be used to buy me a car that's a little better than the beat-up, vile, constantly-stalling thing called 'Clarence' that I'm driving right now... so work is a means to meeting these needs.

Just got to keep smiling, with that in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?