Sunday 1 August 2010

Something excellent this way comes..



I have quite a busy life at the moment and, as such, feel like there has not been a whole lot of time for me to just stop and breathe. There are some exciting things ahead- such as me getting my new car on Tuesday (hopefully).

I feel like sometimes communication lets people down. I was having a conversation with my Mom earlier where really, what she wanted to get across to me was that they expect me to take care of this new car and think more when I drive. What she ended up saying was that I drive terribly and that they are annoyed already about the increased cost of insurance because of my bad driving. Admittedly, I do not have a clean slate at all when it comes to driving. I have had a speeding ticket and a crash within the last year. However, I do take much more care now when I drive. I think sometimes, the inconvenience to other people is seen but I don't think my parents really realise how horrible it was for me to end up in the back of that other car. I mean, it is not like I want to do that in a hurry again, and I think about that often when I drive. I can definitely do something about my speeding. I do tend to be a bit hurried when I drive. I think I'm particularly bad when I really want to get home, and I see an empty road and I just zoom. I have been caught out doing that, and there's no excuse for it, but I know my parents do the same. I followed Mom home from church just today and she was doing 40 in a 30 zone, without any real reason because there was nothing to rush home for. I'm not pointing fingers or blame- my point is more that we are all occasionally a bit senseless when we drive. I don't pull out in front of other cars at junctions or anything silly like that. I can definitely do something about my speeding- set off to places in good time!!! I'm learning... just slower than my parents would like.

So, that conversation was a bit of a downer. I would have taken her point had it been expressed and then discussed with me, instead of hammered home as though I'm a child who doesn't understand. Remind me to say to my children, "I need you to think about this- now, how can I help you with this?" and ask them if they see my point, instead of assuming they don't. Once I have spoken to them and they have said, "yep, ok, I get that mom!" remind me to leave it! It becomes much less effective if a discussion is dragged out!

I'm not a total pain in my parents' butts on purpose. It's not my aim or intention. I am not perfect, certainly, and I have struggled a lot and dealt with a lot recently. I've got so much wrong. I need to strive to get something right!

We're getting a YSA Sunday School set up in our ward in Church. I'm excited as it'll be really cool to be able to talk about spiritual things in a group of peers.

Life is beautiful, you've got to soak it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?