Wednesday 5 October 2011

Anxiously Engaged...?


I got the great news today that one of my friends got engaged at the weekend. Now for some people engagements might not be something you hear about on a daily basis. It's an exciting time for a young couple in love and after telling the family it's only natural that they'll want to share this joyous news on Facebook. Which is fine... unless you're the person that gets notifications of engagements on what seems like a weekly basis. I want to say that it's not because I'm jealous or bitter that I decided to make this the subject of a blog... but, actually, that may well bit it. So what I thought I would do is write a list of the top ten reasons why I am glad I am not engaged:

1) I would not be able to wear the ring round hospitals.
2) Ok, so there are worse places that people could be staring when they talk to you than your finger; but eye-contact is still invaluable.
3) I don't think I could cope with every conversation with my boyfriend being about when, where, how; colours, dresses, flowers; and the politics of family, friends and seating arrangements.
4) I don't have time to go the gym every day trying to get trim to look fabulous in a wedding dress that I buy ambitiously a size too small.
5) Having a boyfriend doesn't mean that I can't drool over any devastatingly attractive males that may walk past... (mmm... oh, sorry, where was I?) whereas being engaged is a serious commitment. I'll be happy to subject myself to it one day, but all in good time!
6) Neither my boyfriend or I have to pretend that the other is perfect yet. We are a work in progress. If I was engaged I would have to start telling everyone only the good things... and that's just not realistic!
7) I want to know that moment is still ahead of me in life. When it comes I want it to be a surprise and it's lovely to wonder how and when. The story is almost more exciting in the anticipation!
8) I have not yet read the book '300 questions LDS couples should ask before marriage'. It's on order.
9) Life at home is CUSHY. Sunday Roasts? Ironing and washing done for you? What's not to love?!
10) I love life just as it is. Time passes and things change, but I am happy now enjoying the grass on this side of the fence. I guess wherever we are and whatever we've doing, that's the vital thing.

Note to the boyfriend (if he chooses to read this): 
The ring above is from Tiffany's and costs £35,700. 
It may just convince me to cast reason aside.
Hehe...

1 comment:

Comments?