Wednesday 10 August 2011

Patriotism



Coming back from the cinema having just seen the film Captain America, which I thoroughly enjoyed despite my hangups about it, I found my mind musing on patriotism. I guess I have a sense of national pride which is in this case displayed in my revulsion at the idea that a single american individual could swoop in and be the hero of WWII - thanks for your help and all, yanks, but you can't really take all the credit. 

The film was entertaining and had a good number of British actors and actresses which was nice. I was particularly impressed to see Richard Armitage (who I adored both in Robin Hood and Spooks), albeit momentarily. I also liked the sense of humour of the film, though I do admit that I laughed at bits that weren't meant to be funny, such as when the 'bad guy' says: "I've seen the future... There are no flags!" and Captain America says, "That's not MY future!!!" 

The thing is, being British, I'm not sure that we understand patriotism in the same way that Americans do. It is easy to say we have no national pride at all when you bear in mind the looting and rioting going on by mindless individuals at the moment. Of all the responses to this kind of behaviour one of my personal favourites is the facebook group 'anti-riot Operation cup of Tea' which advises people to "Stay In and Drink Tea". It's quite a quirky and British way of looking at things. (I hasten to point out that today many people took to the streets with brooms to clean up the mess of these looters- so we are practical as well as sarcastic and witty.) I think the facebook group does sum up the British stoicism. It seems that as a nation we truly are, as Billy Bailey says: Infused with a wistful melancholy. Though obviously at the moment a lot of people are being forced into strong emotions against the looters and there is a lot of anger in the nation against the actions of such people, there is no generalised sense of panic for those not immediately in danger. British people just get on with it. We aren't prone to hysterics nor do we have delusions of grandeur about our capabilities. There's no film about 'Captain England'. If there was it'd probably consist of him standing around making sarcastic comments about the usefulness of the police while lending no support personally, despite super powers. I imagine him as a Yorkshireman. It seems only right. 

Despite our complaining I really do believe most English people are quite happy in this country. The problems are real and seem to be increasing but I, for one, can say that I love England. I love the history of our country. I love the richness of the nature; places like the Lake District, the Peak District, the Yorkshire Moors, the rough landscape around Cornwall. England is green and beautiful. I feel sorry for tourists who only see the parts of our cities that are purely concrete. We have some great architecture. Stately homes, castles, churches and cathedrals. Our country has a huge influence on music worldwide dating back centuries; composers such as Elgar and Holst and currently John Rutter. I suppose I associate national pride with music mostly because of Proms in the Park. Each year as a family we would go to our local park to watch the performance of the Lichfield Proms. We would bob along to the 'Sailor's Hornpipe' and wave flags during Pomp and Circumstance March No.1... I also loved Jerusalem and singing as loudly as possible to Rule Britannia, which I consider our national anthem! 

Yet, for all this, I cannot identify with the American patriotism seen in films such as Captain America. It was fun to watch mostly because of the silliness of it. It's cute that people love their country so much that they would die to protect the flag. In fact I would like to see a united world in which there are no flags. In the Book of Mormon, which is a record of the people of ancient america, there are groups of people who are separate called Nephites and Lamanites- they are all converted to following the gospel of Christ and for a time there is peace between these people. It says in the scriptures that there were no longer Lamanites 'nor any manner of ites' and that is the world I want to see.  

So, patriotism has its place- we should all love our land and the people around us- but more than that we should love everyone everywhere. Our Captain is the one who furthers the cause of freedom. :)