Thursday 20 January 2011

Delusions of Domestic Goddess status



So, today I decided to try out the recipe book I got for Christmas: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi. Mom bought me this book as I tend to be more into dishes that involve a lot of flavour and not a lot of meat. This is a vegetarian cookbook and the recipe I tried today was for Leek Fritters with yoghurt sauce.

This recipe had a lot of ingredients and I was really lucky that my Dad held out some money for me before I went to the shops!

But, basically, the recipe was easy to follow. It really wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever created. It looked a lot like the pictures I've found on the internet though, so perhaps it just isn't a dish blessed with beauty?

It was actually really tasty, though it took me nearly 2 hours to get the ingredients, cook it and serve it up.

It did also make me cry. Or, the shallots did. I would advise REPEATEDLY washing your hands after finishing with red chillis to make sure ever last trace of them is gone. Otherwise, numbness of the face and tongue may occur.

Do you know what, though, it is one little step at a time and this might not have been the most fabulous success ever, but next time I make it it'll be easier and better and day by day I will progress! Who knows -maybe one day I really will be a little domestic goddess of the variety that makes food for 20 people on a Sunday without batting an eyelid?

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself?
Best to concentrate on the baby steps! =) Haha.

I do look forward to trying more recipes from the book though. I liked the style. Expensive/hard to find ingredients could be an issue though!

I am a messy and disorganised cook. Some people calmly move from one thing to another, neatly placing things in the right area of the kitchen. I have to say the kitchen did look absolutely trashed when I'd finished with it tonight. I didn't look much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?