Sunday 20 February 2011

Updates

I've thought about writing something about what's been going on in life for a few days now, but every time I've considered blogging I just haven't been able to think of exactly what I want to say.

It's been a really strange few weeks.



My Mom's father- my Granddad- died ten days ago, and his funeral was 3 days ago. That is a strain to write, in and of itself, but the problem I was facing more was how to comment on such an event to correctly convey the depth of emotion that goes with it. Harder still- summing up his life. His 77 years in which he touched so many people.

It's funny- sometimes we equate righteousness to being boring or dull, but I can't think of a more righteous and less dull person than him. I'm not remembering him as saintly- he wasn't. Yet, I think that when the command was given in the sermon on the mount, "be ye therefore perfect"- no one could say that he did not do his utmost to live up to that. I think Heavenly Father forgives us the character flaws that we don't quite smooth out if we serve others will all our hearts and work on our errors and try to put them right.

I could write pages and pages on what I have learned from my Granddad. However, most important of all I know that he is now with his Father in Heaven. I know that so strongly that all fear and doubt are gone from my mind. Nothing makes more sense to me than that knowledge.

I have a wonderful heritage- I really do. I have a lot to live up to and I feel the expectations of my forebears- but I also feel their love and support. I know their interest in us does not fade away when they die.

I feel so blessed right now. I know the grief is still there and I particularly feel it acutely for my Nana- this separation is so difficult- but I cannot bring myself to walk around feeling sad. As far as I'm concerned, he made it. He did what he needed to do. I love him and will miss him, especially at family events, but I feel like echoing Brigham Young's words in relation to Joseph Smith:

"I feel like shouting, hallelujah, all the time, when I think that I ever knew  Jeffrey Warriner." 

Life is beautiful and the Lord loves us so much that death is not the great tragedy it seems to be either; we will be with those we love again someday, gathered in love and with joy in our hearts that we weathered the elements, aided by each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?