Monday 16 March 2009

How fast time flies!


It seems like an awful lot has happened since I last wrote. My opinions on lots of things have changed and it's always interesting to be able to see how your perspectives and attitudes alter over time.
It's coming toward the end of the teaching year at Med School and I can't believe how fast first year is going. It makes me think that three years at Uni must feel incredibly short- I'm glad I've got four more years to look forward to. I can see why they don't set us loose on patients before then!




In our lecture this morning the external speaker (an Emergency Medicine Consultant) made a joke about the fact that he did expect us to know a little bit of anatomy, despite the fact that we're Birmingham students. How do they teach anatomy elsewhere, I wonder... I honestly don't understand why it's so poor at Birmingham if that's a commonly k
nown fact, surely they'd be trying to make the appropriate amendments! Everything seems to be running smoothly, anyway.

I got my Community Based Medicine essay in and that was a major relief. Just another two essays to go- one on the Ischium (fun..?) and one talking about Alveolar Gas Tensions and Anatomical Dead Space and Functional Residual Capacity. I was totally confu
sed about that to begin with, but one night as I lay in bed thinking about it (as you do) suddenly it all became so clear to me and I suddenly understood the essay title completely. It was great and I think it was interesting how it came to my mind like that... it really made me think about the fact that with God anything is possible and with His help, as there is nothing He doesn't know, I can definitely make it through Med School. I have to do my part in order to learn, and I know if I do He'll help me with the rest if I make sure I stay close to Him.
I love Medicine and it's totally worth it. The last

day I had (day 8) at the GP was yet another brilliant one that showed me the light at the end of the tunnel. It'll be so great when I finally become a GP. It was nice to have the GP at the surgery as the one person who has really gotten to know me while I've been at Med School. She wrote a report on me and it was just so great to hear her express confidence in me after knowing me.

I like to keep this blog nice and reflective; plans for the future, goals, inspirations and such... That's what I'll want to look back o
n when I'm further on in life's journey.

Ben and I are still talking about moving to Australia at some point in the future. I'm a little apprehensive about wild animals and stuff but I do know the risk is, in reality, relatively small as long as you're not wreckless. I'm not sure I can count on Ben not to be wreckless, though!!!

It'd be great, though, I can definitely see us going at some point. If only for a year. However, I do want my kids to be raised in England where I kind of understand the system and know that they'll develop socially acceptable accents (well, in some areas). Who knows. I just think it's exciting to think about all these things as possibilities. I'd love to do something exciting with my life! I'm sure Ben and I will always find something to make life entertaining. As long as we're together we'll be able to laugh our way through life, I'm sure! :)



I've had a craving recently that I've never had before.... I want to go for a bike ride! It's very very unlike me, but I think it just shows how excited I am that good weather might be just around the corner. I want to get outside and enjoy it! I'll have to make sure that we go at some point and take a picnic and have a nice full day of it. I might be getting over my fear of bicycle-related-anaphylaxis! (med speak for allergic reaction... i'm a geek!!!)

I seem to be feeling more confident recently. I keep volunteering to do things. I feel like my normal self again. The self that used to volunteer to teach classes and beg teachers to let me write an essay I thought would be particularly fun... my life as a geek was great... I miss it! Anyway, I've been volunteering to do all the collaboration of every piece of group work we've got going. Everyone let's me, of course, and they look at me like I'm slightly crazy and slightly a complete sucker... as though they're taking advantage. And I'm always all: "well... i don't really mind...". Little do they know, I go home smiling. =)

I've got a lot to look forward to, it seems, in life at the moment. Just over a week and we have holidays! It'll be great. Ben's mission call should be coming soon. I've got loads of free tickets to go to the theatre (on this 'culturise-ing youth' thing that theatres have got happening. I'm going to see my brother and sister in the school show 'Guys and Dolls' soon. It's Monique's birthday in two days. There's just a lot happening to keep me busy and smiling. And I've decided I need to read more.

Life goes by so fast. I never want to regret how I let the moments pass.
On that note...
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?