Sunday 4 January 2009

First Sunday of the New Year

The first Sunday of the year meant a lot of reflection on what I can do better this year, and how I fared in the last. It was a good time to think about it, and I made a few further resolutions to add to my list, though these were more personal issues- how I can improve in order to make past weaknesses into strengths this year.



Church was great, the meetings were very gentle but nice. Ben had his first lesson with his new primary class, in the younger age group, and he seemed a lot happier when he walked out of the lesson- probably because he had not been hassled by a gaggle of vibrant young girls but instead had been teaching one-to-one with a boy.


In Sacrament Meeting it was, as usual, Fast and Testimony meeting, and I was surprised when Ben was one of the first to get up. I usually tease him in testimony meetings, I have to say, usually asking him if he has a testimony which of course I know he does because he joined the church so he must know it's true. I should learn, though, that Ben will speak in his own time and when he feels he has something worth sharing. His testimony today was on the power of prayer, and he told about how he'd prayed before his driving test and even when things started to go a little bit wrong, he was somehow able to keep his cool and not lose it to the nerves that he has suffered with in his last two attempts. He also said he took time out after the test to thank Heavenly Father for it.

It was a lovely thing to hear, not just because of the content but because it was important enough to him for him to decide to share it. It made me feel great to hear him say it. He's nearly sorted out his mission papers, and he's really progressing in the right direction. It's phenomenal and it seems to all be happening so fast. Luckily when I'm with him, time does slow down and give us moments to enjoy each other's company without worrying about everything that's happening. I'm so grateful that he's developing into the person I can see him becoming.

The ripples that will spread from his decision to join the church are going to be so far-reaching, it's amazing. Heavenly Father really knows what he's doing, and I just hope I can see His perspective on everything one day and actually see the results of the decisions we make. It's both terrifying and exciting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?