Wednesday 16 May 2012

Bridesmaid-Hunting in Denmark






As one of my bridesmaids is currently living in Denmark I was kind enough to take the opportunity to pop over there this week in order to measure her, get her shoes and (admittedly) just generally abuse her hospitality. Most important of all- I had a ring to show her, and a fiancé she had yet to meet. 


Denmark is a fabulous place which I have been impressed by each time I've had the chance to visit. This was my third voyage to Copenhagen and this time I took advantage of Monique's crazy work schedule (she's one of the busiest and probably most productive people I know) to explore, take pictures and be a tourist in a way that would probably embarrass her as a local! 


Often when walking down the streets in Copenhagen I get stopped by the charity workers who are only supposed to stop the Danes. As Danish girls are stereotypically blonde, tall and skinny and I fit only the first of these requirements I'm always a little surprised when they approach me. Yet, there is something obvious that immediately distinguishes me from the residents of Copenhagen: I walk everywhere! In order to develop an air of authenticity really, I should have been riding a bicycle.


Bikes are everywhere in Copenhagen and really it is no wonder. It's practically flat; plus it was pointed out to me that bicyclists are looked after well. When crossing a road you first have to cross the cycle lane (you're more likely to get run over by a bike than a car- I had a few near misses!); there are angled bins along the cycle lane so that cyclists can dump their rubbish as they ride and there are even stands next to traffic lights that cyclists can rest against.


It's a brilliant way to see a beautiful city, though sadly I was a late learner when it came to riding bikes and I've never really found the knack for it. I tend to be a little wobbly and I was reliably informed that I would probably get shouted at by swarms of 2-wheeled commuters if I was getting in the way. I stuck with walking. 


Perhaps this was slightly more relieving for me than bike riding would have been, but nevertheless Copenhagen has streets to challenge even the most fearless walkers, such as Strøget- which has a special claim to fame as the longest pedestrian shopping street in Europe. Near the top of this street is one of the most lovely areas of Copenhagen- the café rich canal-side Nyhavn. 
The cheaper option (instead of the cafés) is to go to a local Kiosk, grab a drink, and go and sit right on the edge of the canal and soak in the atmosphere whilst watching the arrival and departure of canal tours. 


There were some things that I was surprised at myself I had not seen on previous visits to Copenhagen. One of these that, for me, was a must-see was Vor Frue Kirke: The Church of Our Lady which is the home of Thorvaldsen's Christus and his equally impressive statues of the Apostles: Peter, James (son of Alpheus), John, Judas Thaddaeus, Andrew, Simon Zelotes, Bartholomew, Thomas, James (brother of Christ), Phillip, Matthew, and (instead of Judas Iscariot) Paul. 
I was a little overwhelmed at how simple and beautiful the church was. The image of the Christus has been adopted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as a symbol probably because of the way it depicts Christ as being a resurrected and majestic being. I've always loved the statue - since the first time I saw the huge replica that stands in the Visitor's Centre at Temple square, Salt Lake City when I was 7 years old. It was wonderful to think that this was the piece of marble, in front of me, from which Thorvaldsen first unveiled this image which is such a powerful emblem of faith. 


Also in Copenhagen I went to the National Art Gallery which was great as I loved seeing the collection of art that was produced in Denmark and by Danish artists. I'm not creative but have a great appreciation for art produced by others so it was something I felt very enthusiastic about. 


When I posted on facebook that I was going to be in Denmark, I had a response from a missionary couple who served as CES missionaries in Birmingham Stake not long ago letting me know that they were likely to be in Denmark serving in the temple at that time. I had a the pleasure of meeting up with them while in Copenhagen and it was great to see their faces and hear about their adventures since I last saw them. It was also due to that association that I was able to go inside Copenhagen Temple with the YSA while I was on my trip. That was a wonderful experience and I am so grateful to them for arranging it! 


It never ceases to amaze me that wherever I go in the world there are always friends there- people I've met before or people that are unfamiliar to me that add something wonderful to my travels. I know we've seen that so many times on family holidays and I certainly experienced it on this adventure too! 


The moments that really make a trip seem to be the ones you actually can't anticipate. One of these things was that Monique bought a BBQ while I was there and despite the winds and rain we managed to have hot dogs, grilled camembert and even spare ribs from it. That was great fun, despite a few grumbles from her boyfriend, who felt that he was unjustly overworked but was much happier once he had some food on his plate! 


Another of these moments was on my way to the temple. I was killing time and wandering around when I walked through the most beautiful cemetery. That sounds so odd but it was genuinely one of the most surprisingly picturesque places. There was a row of the most beautiful cherry blossoms that had lined the path with gorgeous pink petals. I love it when things like that spring up, apparently from nowhere! It was fairly magical. 
When I said this on my arrival at the flat in the evening I was told that I'm apparently not the only one who enjoys the graveyard and that it's a popular place for hanging out during summer months. I guess that seems a bit strange to me but why not make a park out of it? Why should people's final resting places be dreary? The whole of Assistens Kirkegård was beautiful to walk around. Notably, Hans Christian Andersen is buried there. 
Being in the city where he lived I could definitely not resist taking a picture when I happened across a couple of swans with three little "Ugly Ducklings". 


Again, by chance, I walked into a church as I wandering around called Christians Kirke- and there were two pianists practising for a concert. It was amazing to listen for a while- an unexpected delight.  


The simplicity of the interior of the church was really quite a sight and the chandeliers were beautiful. 


There are so many churches in Copenhagen that are just breathtaking and they are all free to get into. The biggest church is by the Amalienborg Royal Residences and is the Marmorkirken. It's an impressive building from the outside (though there's some scaffolding at the moment) as it provides a glorious backdrop for the palace itself. Once inside, there are no tours allowed so it is completely silent and is a place for prayer and reflection. But, they seem to have no problem with pictures in churches in Denmark so I took a few. 


















I was just so impressed with the place. I love the inscriptions and the atmosphere; as well as the huge decorative dome.


Despite the magnificence of this huge church, it isn't my favourite in Copenhagen. Actually, my favourite is rather small by comparison and I nearly missed a visit to it this time because I had decided not to go and see 'The Little Mermaid' again because I have to say that I feel that it is a particularly overrated tourist attraction. She's tiny and perhaps the only remarkable thing about her is her position on a rock in the sea- but then I guess that would be the prime location for any mermaid so even that didn't take much imagination.


However, my walk in that direction took me past this church again so I guess I can forgive The Little Mermaid for being less than impressive. 


This is the Skt Albans Kirke and I love it for it's perfect surroundings, gorgeous grey walls, stained glass and the huge fountain beside it. 







 Obviously, ultimately my trip was not really about the place but about visiting with someone who I was excited to share this time with in my life. As great as it is to see things and enjoy the beauty of the world around me, life would mean absolutely nothing without people.


I'm lucky that I have a friend that would put up with me for a week, allow me to take her measurements, lend me a towel (I travelled light) and keep me laughing.


But- in case sentimentality is not what you seek, below are some more snaps of the wonderful city of Copenhagen!
Canals
 Spire of Vor Freslers Kirke




Along Strøget









View from Botanical Gardens






 Jerusalems Kirke 




 Langeliniepavillonen 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?