Thursday 17 November 2011

Self-Confessed Drama Queen



Life recently has been quite dramatic!
I feel like there has been a constant stream of things happening to not only me but my family too.
Yet, in all the drama there is one thing that remains completely untouched and paramount and that is love.

Love means so many things to so many people. Last night I went out to a Japanese restaurant and had the pleasure of sitting with a couple who were probably in their late 50s/early 60s. They were absolutely delightful and shared some of their food with us (unfortunately it was sushi and despite my most polite efforts I had to discreetly 'dump' it on the plate next door) whilst telling us about their four children who they were obviously extremely proud of. It was lovely to listen to the way in which this couple spoke of their accomplishments. The husband was a businessman and it sounded like he had been very successful in this; his wife was "a housewife" (in her own words). They were just so cute together. They were talkative, interesting, generous and giving. They both appeared content with life. It made me happy to talk to them. The husband particularly said something interesting. He told me that the best moments of his life were when his children were at home, he was working really hard and life was extremely stressful and busy. Despite their obvious happiness together, he suggested that the time in their lives they were in now was certainly not the most glorious. In my naivety, I guess I would have considered them to have it made- he was still working but had set up the business and done all of the hard work so that he could enjoy time now with his wife (who was lovely), yet he didn't seem to be sure of what to do with so much time! It seemed instead like they were having a case of 'Empty-nest syndrome'. Love is active. Love is busy. Love is taking the time to stop and listen when you are busiest. I hope I remember to do that.

I have been thinking a lot about the things that last. We had a great Family Home Evening (prepared by my mom) on Monday that was about the things we are grateful for. After writing some daft things like 'Innocent veg pots' (which I am EXTREMELY grateful for, by the way) we talked about which of the things we wrote that we could do without. A number of things were immediately discarded (veg pots being one) and we discussed some others such as Family, The Sun and Aeroplanes. We discussed how Job (in the Old Testament) lost absolutely everything- family, wealth, friends, and even his health. Yet, despite this, he remained strong. Rather than making me think of the things I can do without, it got me thinking about the things that I value, need and love.

At the moment, my family are a particularly special blessing in my life. I am amazed at how we have rallied round and supported each other through our various difficulties. I suppose that it's not in our joys that we find out how united we really are- sometimes it's in our trials. I am grateful for a mother who always finds time to listen even when she's exhausted and who serves selflessly. I am grateful for a father who works hard. I am grateful for a brother who is talented and has a good heart. I am grateful for a sister who makes me laugh. I am grateful for an older sister who sees the silver lining to every cloud and is constant. I am grateful for a surrogate brother who is there for me, even when he's not sure how to be. I am excited about how we are growing as a family and of all of our collective achievements. I just can't wait to see how our family extends and grows as we reach out and love other people. The roots that we have together as a family make it so much more possible for our branches to have a far-reaching effect. I am excited for all the precious moments still to come and I just feel so blessed to be part of this family. We are all imperfect- but what we lack in perfection, we make up for in the sense of duty to each other.

Who could ask for more?

In the stressful, busy moments of our lives that are still to come- I am grateful that I have these people who are able to stand with me in storms. Sometimes we just have to slow down when it's turbulent and steady ourselves. I am grateful for the scaffolding I have in place so I can do this. My family are my lifeline and I hope they feel that I provide the same for them. This world is nothing without that love!!!

1 comment:

Comments?