Monday 7 November 2011

Giving Ourselves More Than One Chance


I've been thinking a lot lately, partially due to a YWs lesson on Loving Ourselves and Others, about the way we think of ourselves and the way our actions speak more loudly than we realise about those thoughts. 

I find that, often, when we let other people down it isn't because of our low estimation of them but actually some kind of perceived inadequacy in us

I listened today to a talk that President Uchtdorf (First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) gave addressing the Relief Society (adult women) of the church. He talked about 5 things we should not forget. The first of these was that we should be patient with ourselves. 

It sounds silly. It sounds obvious. Why would we not be patient with ourselves? Yet, I see too many people get frustrated with their perceived lack of progress. In fact, getting overburdened by their lack of progress, they stop themselves from progressing. I am often guilty of this. My biggest challenge this week was in trying to find some things that I like about myself. However, a quote a friend put on facebook tonight has helped me remember some of those things and I would like to share them here: 

  • No matter how many times things in life hit me, I get back up. I am not a quitter. People can rely on me to try and try again. I don't wave a white flag. When I love, I love. If I care about you, I care forever. If a beautiful person comes into my life their footprints really are always on my heart. When I cry, I cry. When I laugh, I laugh. When I forgive, I forgive- and I trust again, immediately. Life is worth experiencing in all its extremities. I still believe that everything I wish for will come true. I still believe in a Disney-ending. Call it naive... I want to live with that belief forever in my heart. No matter how much it hurts at times. (Have to say, inspiring power music must go with this and the song that fits is Avril Lavigne: Anything but Ordinary) 
  • I take lots of pictures. I know it's a silly thing to like about oneself, but it means that I treasure memories of beautiful places and beautiful people. I've had so many wonderful experiences. And there are more out there to capture and carry around as a little piece of my heart. 
  • I believe in second chances. And third chances. And fourth chances. etc. I need them, and other people need them. I believe that a book should never be judged by its cover. I believe that people are surprises. I believe that an enemy can always become a friend. I find people miraculous because they always surpass my expectations. I don't know how they do it! 
  • I take chances- I go to the end of the country to visit someone I just met because I think there is a potential friendship there I don't want to miss out on, I step forward in surgery and say "yes, I'll scrub in for the first time"- I do so with faith and confidence that Heavenly Father will guide me to good experiences as long as I use wisdom and am keeping His commandments. Guess what? It always works out well! 
  • I care about the future. Living in the moment is fun and good, but I don't let that master me. I am excited for what life can be like in the future and I realise that the way I live today dictates what happens then. I set goals. I achieve things. I know where I want to be. I don't know the way to get there but I know someone who does. 
I hope that if you read this you then go away and write your own list of things you like about yourself. It is important that we do love ourselves because until we do that, we can never really love others. So keep caring and keep sharing your light. 

As James Barrie said: "Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?