Thursday 29 September 2011

My life would be incomplete without...


My life is just so charmed and wonderful at the moment I'm not sure where to begin. The photos above represent only a few of the pieces in my life I just couldn't be without. 

Obviously of particular note is the boyfriend- Ben. Our relationship is something he always meets me half-way on; at the very least. Often he goes far beyond and far out of his way to ensure my happiness. He is selfless and loving to me and to others around him and I just couldn't write about great things in my life without mentioning the person my happiness revolves around most. 

I am vastly enjoying my first placement in hospitals this year. I am privileged to have been placed in a great hospital with wonderful 'colleagues'. It is interesting, challenging and stimulating. I love medicine. 

I also derive so much pleasure now from the little things in life; sunshine, flowers, candles, singing along to music, books, colours... the list goes on. There are always little bumps and bruises along the way but life is beautiful. 

It's so interesting to me how different people view life. For example, we have a professor at medical school who told us in a lecture that the kidney is so poorly designed that there is clearly no intelligent designer; if there is a designer it has to be a stupid one. In contrast, a consultant surgeon today was talking about the marvel that is the aorta. Other than his attachment to it because of the financial gain he acquires from fixing it, he was talking about how beautiful and incredible it is in withstanding the pressure that passes through it. He said it's the equivalent of chucking 70000 buckets of water at a wall everyday, but the aorta withstands this pressure. It was nice to hear that mixture of faith and science. I see them as completely compatible though I understand that in a psychiatric sense someone who doesn't believe what I do would class me as 'delusional' though I would be given no medication because I'm not a harm to society. Intriguing! 

I am really looking forward to General Conference this weekend. The members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will get to hear talks from modern day prophets and apostles and I am so excited for that instruction. If anyone else wants to listen/watch it'll be broadcast from 5pm-7pm & 9-11pm on Saturday, and 3-5pm on Sunday. Look at www.lds.org for more info!