Friday 16 September 2011

Elder Bednar's visit to the YSA

On the first Saturday of September 900 YSA (Young Single Adults) gathered in Reading to have a special meeting with Elder David A. Bednar, an apostle of the Lord. There have been some wonderful things that the YSA have been able to be involved with this summer- Especially For Youth camps and our own Convention- but none of them have been anticipated as much as Elder Bednar's visit. We knew it was going to be huge and everyone who could get there would get there. I personally know people who travelled from Scotland and Ireland to hear his words; making a trip out of it. Fortunately my journey was less far- only 3 hours.

I don't know what I expected but I was overwhelmed by the spirit and collective testimony of those around me. When Elder Bednar walked in I was just filled with the conviction that he really is a man of God, set apart and given the right to exercise the keys of the Priesthood authority on this earth. The spirit was no different from the wonderful feeling of comfort and confirmation that I feel when I pray or read the scriptures but it was there specifically to witness to me of the role of this man and those others with whom he serves to lead and direct this church. 

It was lovely to first hear from his wife, who reminded us all to not be ashamed of the things that we know to be true.

Elder Bednar then opened the meeting for questions; reminding us that all questions were good but some questions were better than others. As he explained that it was every person's responsibility to think of questions, I realised that lots of them just poured into my brain. Questions about my life, reflections on how I can apply the gospel into it, concerns about the future...

I did not ask a question during the event, but I did realise that I had questions. That, for me, was an enormous breakthrough. My biggest barrier to prayer is always about what to ask for. I am able to thank my Heavenly Father and ask Him to bless people around me in a generic way but it has been a struggle for me to turn to Him for the things I need; the help, the support and the advice. I put it down to not really having any questions- I suppose my pride was making me feel self-sufficient or even ok with struggling so long as I kept it within myself. Being in the room with an Apostle, I had questions to ask. How much more should I ask those questions of my Heavenly Father when I am alone in my room kneeling in sincere prayer? More than anything, I know that had I asked the questions of Elder Bednar he would have (in his own way) given me exactly the same answer that I can  get through the Holy Spirit from the Lord.

It was amazing to have one of the Twelve Apostles visiting with us but the real miracle and blessing I saw from it was in realising the power we have every day to gain answers. That is a tremendous thing in our lives- the ability to receive revelation and guidance in the minutia. I just need to get to work on applying it!