Thursday 14 October 2010

Faith in the Future





I've been back at Medical School for nearly two weeks now and I don't know whether it's that my attitude that has changed toward it; or that they're letting us off lightly at the moment, but I am both coping with it and enjoying it.

I'm putting in some long hours. There have been nights where everyone else has gone home and I've chosen to stay for a few hours writing notes or just generally getting the work done that is needed. I am loving it. This term we have Health Services (HES), Immunology (IIH), Integrated Problems (IP), Community Based Medicine (CBM), Cardiovascular System (CVS), Renal System (REN) and a Student Selected Activity (SSA). It's all about the abbreviations!


One thing that I'm still not very good at, no matter how hard I try, is anatomy. Unfortunately the knowledge that 'the head bone's connected to the neck bone' will no longer get me through.

Let's just put it this way- I don't think I'll be buying this t-shirt any time soon.

Never fear- I'll keep working on it!

Life at the moment is generally wonderful. I am swimming instead of sinking and am enjoying having a vague idea of what is going on at all times. I'm working out my learning styles and I actually don't feel too overwhelmed. My work-life balance is still intact.

My GP tutor encouraged us to all keep a part of our lives for us and she recommended reading fiction. I was in total agreement with that train of thought and am back in the Congo with the Prices in 'The Poisonwood Bible'. I read it today and it brought tears to my eyes. It's such an amazing and clever book. It makes me grateful for the faith I have.

Heavenly Father knows us and loves us. It's always amazing to me how the little things have such an impact in our lives. For example, I read the scriptures on the train on the way to Medical School and I feel totally different on days that I don't. It's real. Anyway- that's all I have time for- must rush off to learn to do a 6-lead ECG!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?