Sunday 26 July 2009

The joy of being a Young Single Adult

The title of this blog may come across as slightly sarcastic, and I suppose in someway I do mean it sarcastically. There are many things I struggle with in being a YSA (18-30 year old unmarried person in the LDS church). There are also many amazing things about it.

At the moment, YSA reminds me of the fact that I am unmarried. That wouldn't be such a problem, but when everyone around you is finding the person they're supposed to be with and getting all coupled-up, it makes you feel kind of lonely. Which is crazy- I'm only 19 and I'm already feeling the pressure. However, I could deal with it if all it was is pressure or the idea that everyone else is getting married. I could ignore those things. The worst part of it all is that I want to get married more than anything... so I'm incredibly jealous of married life.


Don't get me wrong- I absolutely HATE weddings. Other peoples' are sweet and necessary but I don't want to have to go through the ordeal of a wedding in order to get to being married. I'd rather elope and send back a postcard telling everyone we're married, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that in church. What I'm jealous of is purely the being with someone... the everyday life and everyday love. Living life with someone else constantly by your side and in your mind- every decision being made as part of a couple instead of the individual.

I suppose if I really wanted to get married I could get out there and find someone soonish... but it's about knowing that it's the right person. Sometimes to be with the right person you just have to be incredibly patient.

YSA is such a challenging time- no matter how long you're in the programme for it can be a stressful and surreal experience. It's the only group I know of that as soon as people get into it, the aim is to get out. And, for all that, I love YSA. I love it because we're all in the same boat and everyone wants to be young and have as much fun as possible and deny the total stress and panic that underlies it all. I love it because the people in YSA are so good. I love it because as a YSA you constantly see friends find the beginning of their own personal fairytales. I love it because while we're 'stuck' in the programme, we can all grin and bear it, or even cry together.

I'm now officially set apart as 1st counsellor in the YSA and Institute council presidency of the Birmingham Stake. It's exciting to get more opportunities to get involved in what's going on, and I really love the programme.... and I'm excited to have chance to get closer to everyone in Birmingham and beyond.

Hopefully, when I need a cuddle, someone will be there... I'm sure they will... people are good like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?