Sunday 1 April 2012

General Conference Thoughts...

(Photos unavailable until my laptop is back online!)
This weekend we had the absolute privilege to be able to listen to words of wisdom from some of the most awe-inspiring people in the universe. One of the wonderful things, too, is that there is plenty of time to catch up on anything that was missed. I watched 2 of the general sessions and will be watching more on completion of my exams this week. I'm excited to get to learn and hear the messages again and again.

Some of my initial thoughts:


  • Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk (Saturday pm) about the parable of the labourers was just so broadly applicable and expanded so beautifully on the teachings of the Saviour. It really brought it 'to life' for me and there were so many ways that I could see that this talk applied to me. I love the idea of never needing to compare ourselves with anyone else because I know that we all do this. I definitely do this sometimes. Sometimes I feel like I have been labouring much longer than other people and think of myself as somehow superior, and at other times I wonder if I will ever be worth as much as the people who have been labouring longer. I look up at impossibly perfect people and I love them for their goodness but sometimes feel inadequate, too. The reality, as this talk reminded me, is that the Lord wants to give us ALL... EVERYTHING. He doesn't want it to be a case of dividing it equally by who put in the most effort or who is more perfect. He wants us each to be there on the day where the work is complete and gain our reward. I love knowing that I am no better or worse than anyone else. I need to remember to always keep this in mind with the way that I treat people and the way that I think of myself. 
  • I got this impression or feeling from conference just that I need to focus on the temple. As I do so, I know that everything else in my life will be ok. The Lord loves us to get our priorities right because that way He can just shower down the blessings. I know He will do that for me. 
  • Conference got me thinking a lot about the importance of establishing rules in a home. I'm grateful I've been brought up in a home where I have been taught so well and I really hope that I can work out what my rules will be in my home in the future (when I eventually stop burdening my parents!!!). 
  • I thought it was so interesting to think about inspiration and revelation. I have so many occasions where I feel that some small course of action has been inspired; but I want the 'crispness and clarity' of revelation. I want to do more to seek this! I think this is such an amazing blessing we can have in our lives. Effort + Trust + Obedience >>> Revelation. 
  • Humility is so vital - I often feel very humbled when I'm on my knees in prayer and then I stand up and live my life without that kind of feeling at all. It's easy to feel so very grateful when you're on your knees, then stand up and live a day where you feel that everything that happens is no more or less than you expect. I need to keep that humble feeling in my heart more. 
  • So much was said about the human body- what a wonder it is! I know that as a medical student it amazes me how much is known about the human body and also how much more there is to learn. Human beings have been walking on this earth for thousands of years and we still haven't even understood ourselves yet! It just makes me so in awe of our omniscient Heavenly Father. When things  go wrong with these bodies- He knows the perfect way to heal it. But He is wise enough to know that He shouldn't always intervene. I love knowing that as a doctor I can help aid His healing process. 
  • I realised that I have not read 'Daughters in my Kingdom'- I'm ashamed of this fact and I intend to read it as soon as my exams are over and I feel that my Young Women might become familiar with it as I do! 
The last three messages are things I don't really feel I need to expand on- they were just beautiful and profound things to think about and I was so glad that conference has given me the opportunity to think of these three things, especially at this time in my life where I am young and the decisions I'm making will determine my happiness:

  • Always remember to pause and enjoy the moments. 
  • Decide what really matters in your life
  • Discover your divine attributes. 
Conference was so amazing and I am excited to gain more and more from it as I hear the messages I have not yet heard and seek to apply all of it into my life! We are so fortunate to have revelation and a Prophet on the earth today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?